Accountability password was created as a means to improve self-control without involving a sponsor. One might have problems finding someone they can trust with their addiction/self-control issues. In these cases, it is best to have an option that allows you to regulate yourself.
The way this works is by using computationally intensive hashing algorithms to generate a password. The user inputs a string and the no. of rounds that should be run. The page gives an estimate of the time it will take to generate the password on your computer. The resulting password can be used to block access to accounts/services/web filters etc.
This way, you can regain access to the service when needed at a later date. But, it prevents you from immediate gratification for at least a few hours. You must exercise self-control along with this service. When trying to regenerate the password, take time to think whether you really need it.
- You need both the password and the no. of rounds used. Please write them down.
- Do not store the generated password anywhere using password managers etc. It defeats the purpose of this tool.
- Larger rounds result in a greater time needed to generate a password. Always be generous with yourself.
- Use the fastest computer available to generate your password. If you upgrade computers, you can regenerate a password using more rounds.
- You can save this page with a .html extension and use this tool without worrying if this website will go offline.